I’m a heart surgeon, educator, and athlete. I’m doing my best at writing.
Jackson, Mississippi is my home.
I’m a faculty member at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine, where my clinical practice is devoted to adult heart surgery. I enjoy teaching medical students and residents who are training to become surgeons.
I swim, bike, and run. I’m best at swimming and I’m trying to “go long” in the swim.
My goal for the Athlete’s Heart Blog is to share information about athletes and heart health. There’s not enough quality online information that’s also easy to read. Here at the blog–and with all of my social media outlets–the views expressed are my own and not my employer’s.
You can also catch me on Twitter at @athletesheart or on Facebook at /athletesheart.
I enjoy speaking to groups about athletes and heart health. Check out my recent events, interviews, and scientific articles.
My cardiology colleagues and I enjoy evaluating athletes with heart problems or even, simply, heart concerns. We can help with issues such as:
- physical examination with assessment of heart risks
- more formal screening for heart and vascular disease (ECG, echocardiogram, stress testing, carotid Doppler study, abdominal ultrasound)
- diagnosis and treatment of all forms of heart and vascular disease (coronary artery disease, heart valve disease, heart valve problems, congenital heart conditions, arrhythmias, aortic aneurysm or dissection, peripheral vascular disease, carotid artery disease), including medical treatments, non-invasive procedures, and surgery
- recommendations regarding safe forms of exercise
- second opinions regarding diagnosis and treatment of heart and vascular conditions
If you’d like to make arrangements for an outpatient visit, please email me at email@example.com.