I enjoy speaking to groups about athletes and heart health. Potential audiences and venues might include triathlon clubs, race directors or organizations, medical groups, and local running/bike/tri shops, among others. Some popular talks have included:
- “Heart Health and Endurance Sport”
- “Triathlon Fatalities: Lessons Learned”
- “Triathletes and Heart Problems”
Contact me by email at email@example.com if you’d like me to speak to your group. Sometimes we can coordinate a speaking engagement when I already have plans to be in your area.
Recent and upcoming speaking engagements and presentations:
- February 6-7, 2016. “Triathlon Fatalities: The USAT Experience,” Japan Triathlon Union Forum, Tokyo, Japan.
- April 2, 2016. Poster presentation, with Dr. Kevin Harris, “Fatalities in American Triathloms: An Expanded Profile,” American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions, Chicago, Illinois.
- October 21-22, 2016. “Triathlon and Heart Health: The Headlines, The Evidence, and The Coach,” USA Triathlon Art & Science of Triathlon Symposium, Atlanta, Georgia.
- June 7, 2017. “Sudden Cardiac Death in Adult Recreational Sport,” Cardiology Grand Rounds, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi.
Recent media appearances and interviews:
- Interviewed in USA Today, “Swimming Deaths Trouble Triathlon Officials,” May, 2013.
- Interviewed in Baltimore Magazine, “Risky Business: A String of Recent Tragedies in Local Adventure and Endurance Races Offers Cautionary Tales,” September, 2014.
- Interviewed in Outside Magazine, “Science of Performance: Your Body During a 100-Miler,” July, 2015.
- Interviewed in Boulder Daily Camera, “Despite Ironman Boulder Athlete’s Death, Experts Say Triathlon Fatalities are Rare,” August, 2015.
- Interviewed in Slowtwitch.com, “Blood Pressure Guidelines,” November, 2015.
- Interviewed in The Cauldron-Sports Illustrated, “Playing Prevent Defense,” November, 2015.
- Article on LinkedIn. “Could United’s CEO return to work after a heart transplant? Yes–and here’s why.” January, 2016.
- Interviewed in Bicycling Magazine, “Five Life-Saving Signs of Heart Trouble Every Cyclist Should Know,” February, 2016.
- Interviewed in Furthermore from Equinox, “Fit–But Unhealthy,” March, 2016.
- Podcast with Dr. Greg Wells. “Heart Health.” April, 2016.
- Interviewed in
- Interviewed by ESPN. “Study of triathlon deaths concludes more screening needed.” April, 2016.
- Science of Ultra Podcast with Shawn Beardon. “Heart Health and Endurance Sport” May, 2016.
- Interviewed in The Daily Beast, “Why Do So Many Middle-Aged Men Die During Ironman Competitions?” May, 2016.
- Interviewed by Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio. Fatalities in triathlon, in wake of fatality at Ironman Cairns. June, 2016.
- Interviewed in Runner’s World UK, “Is Your Heart a Ticking Time Bomb?”, June 2016.
- Interviewed in Undark Magazine, “Revisiting the Triathlon Death Rate“, July, 2016.
- Interviewed in Houston Chronicle, “Family Bewildered by Death of Fit 27-Year-Old Swimmer in Houston-area Triathlon,” September, 2016.
- Interviewed in Wall Street Journal, “What’s your Heart-Rate Variability? It May be Time to Find Out,” June, 2017.
- Interviewed in La Presse (Montreal). “L’Ironman Mont-Tremblant endeuille” (The Ironman Mont-Tremblant in Mouning), August, 2017.
- Interviewed in Triathlete Magazine, “New Study: Sudden Death in Tri Hits This Age Group the Hardest,” September, 2017.
- Interviewed in Bicycling Magazine, “Teenage Cyclocross Champion Died in Sleep After Heart Attack,” February, 2018.
- Article in USAT Multisport Zone, “Check Yourself: 6 Warning Signs You Shouldn’t Ignore,” September, 2018.
- Interviewed by Mark Livesey about heart health and triathlon for The Brick Session Podcast, November, 2018.
Recent scientific reports:
- Asplund CA, Creswell LL. Hypothesized mechanisms of swimming-related death: A systematic review. Br J Sports Med 2016;50:1360-1366.
- Asplund CA, Miller TK, Creswell LL, Getzin A, Hunt A, Martinez J, Diehl J, Hiller WB, Berlin P. Triathlon medical coverage: A guide for medical directors. Curr Sports Med Reports 2017;16:280-288.
- Harris KM, Creswell LL, Haas TS, Tung M, Isaacson E, Garberich RF, Maron BJ. Death and cardiac arrest in U.S. triathlon participants, 1985-2016: A case series. Ann Intern Med 2017; 167:529-535.